Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

Default Food Bank!

jmcquown wrote:
> It's time again! Thanksgiving is approaching and it's time to give, if you
> can.

Nope - any time is time to give, if you can. Hunger doesn't cease when
the Holidays do.

> I don't think I have to do the whole list of things which are and are
> not acceptable... all food banks are not created equal. Some will accept
> meat, others don't have the refrigerated storage for it. Glass is usually a
> no-no for reasons which don't need explaining. But if you can do it, please
> give. I'm in a bad position this year so I can't give much but I'm still
> trying because I'm a firm believer in paying it forward.

High-protein, non-perishable foods are always in demand (dried legumes,
peanut butter, nuts), as are canned vegetables. Some things you
wouldn't necessarily think about, but are always needed: toilet paper,
shampoo, tampons and pads, disposabe razors. I always buy stuff like
this on clearance and donate it. I also put together "birthday
packages" for kids - a cake mix, frosting, candles, disposable 9X13
pan, party hats, napkins, set of dispo silverware and plates, all
placed in a pretty birthday-themed gift bag. They can get eggs, oil and
milk free at our food pantry, so they can make the cake. No, it's not
a necessity, but it's a nice surprise for kids who might not get
anything special on their birthday, otherwise.

Our local food pantry also give away clothing free, which I think is
awesome. The prices for used goods at the Goodwill and Salvation army
here are ridiculous.

-L.