notbob

Default How do you make your food cost expenses go further?

On 2004-06-02, Peter Aitken > wrote:

> Another way to save money is to avoid buying pointless gadgets like the
> foodsaver. I am sure it saves time but it does not do anything that careful
> wrapping cannot do.

I DID take the expense of the Food Saver into account. But, in the long
run, I know vacuum packaging is far superior to ANY other method of
preservation in a freezer[0]. I also bought it to preserve whole hops for
brewing beer. Without vacuum sealing, even the best wrapping method will
eventuall render the frozen food to desert-arid mummification within 3-6
months.

[0] In the case of fish, one other method is very good, and that's freezing
the meat in a solid block of ice. This is a great way to preserve seafood.

nb
--
Be considerate of others and
trim your posts. Thank you.