Mark Thorson

Default How do you make your food cost expenses go further?

Pat wrote:

> What are the best tips you've ever read and been recommended so far
> and also regularly practice, relating to how your family has made and
> regularly makes it's money go a lot further than it ever used to, when
> it comes to all your weekly food - drink purchases / expenses, if you
> have a family to look after, or when you did.

I'm amazed how cheap Cook's ham is. $0.98/lb for the butt end
of a half ham at Albertson's. And this is IMHO the best supermarket
ham you can buy. (The shank end is $0.88/lb, but I consider that
not as good a deal.) Buying this much ham had been a problem
due to lack of freezer space, but I recently figured out a solution
to that problem. :-)

My local Chinese food store has certain items at prices half or less
of the chain supermarkets. Brocolli, mushrooms, onions, and chicken
are all MUCH cheaper, and the quality is usually better. I suppose
this is because the local mom-and-pop Chinese restaurants buy
food there, so they move a lot of volume on these items.