Dean G.

Default How do you make your food cost expenses go further?

"Gregory Morrow" > wrote in
message ink.net...

> Siobhan Perricone wrote:
>

> > >1) Make everything (and this includes breads, tomato sauce, jam,

etc...)
> > >from scratch.

> > Time is also a resource, just like money. There is a point where cooking
> > from scratch does not actually save you anything. The trick is finding

> the
> > point of most return for the least investment of money *and time* that
> > works for you as an individual.

I agree, but you forgot one thing : If you work instead make things from
scratch, you tend to get paid. If your pay for working x hours is more than
you would save by cooking from scratch for x hours, then you might as well
stay at work. Also, don't forget the extra time and money for the extra
cleaning. I cook from scratch because the results are of higher quality than
the pre-packaged stuff, not because it is cheaper. The way I cook, it often
isn't any cheaper to cook from scratch because canned pasta sauces don't use
basalmic vinegar, chaterelles, or high quality olive oil for example. Crap
is usually very cheap.

That said, there are a few more things worth mentioning : Shop at several
different stores if they are nearby. Where I live, Krogers has cheap house
brand stuff, Biggs has cheap other things, and Aldi's has a few things very
cheap. Big Lots / Odd Lots have cheap spices ($0.48 for 3 oz IIRC.) and
occasionaly some interesting stuff. World Market occasionally has tortellini
on sale for less than the major super markets. The road side tomato seller
has tastier and cheaper (but uglier) tomatoes than any store.

Also, buying large packages of rice, potatoes, and onions is often far
cheaper than buying individual pieces or smaller packages. These will last a
while if stored properly. That said, bulk shallots seem to be cheaper than
packages, so check before you buy.

Finally, if you have a yard, start a garden. Basil grows like a weed, and
they charge outrageous prices for fresh herbs, and even more outrageous
prices for bottles of pesto sauce (!).

Dean G.