Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Ric[_3_] Ric[_3_] is offline

Default growing grapes

Some things to consider;
* A mature (which is many years away!) plant will likely yield 8 to 10
pounds of fruit - depending on how you trellis, prune, vine maturity,
climate,etc. It takes about 15 pounds to yield a gallon of finished wine. (6
to 7 gallons per 100 pounds of fruit). If you only have a few plants, your
biggest problem may be producing enough fruit to produce a manageable
quantitiy of wine. 6 vines will likely produce fruit for about 3 gallons;
personally, I find small quantities like that harder to work with. Do you
have room for another 6 vines?

* Where are you located? Here in northern california there are numerous
quality vine (grafted field plantings) sources - but the smallest lots they
sell are usually bundles of 25. For small quantities like yours, I suggest
two strategies; 1. local nursery. But be REAL careful about source - and
ensure that the vines have been cleared by your County Ag department. 2. Go
get cuttings from existing vines and 'grow your own'.

* You'll likely plant in the spring - after frosts, but before bud break.
Around these parts, that usually means early March.

* Plan on 3 years before you can take fruit with grafted field plants; 4
years on self started cuttings.

Last - be prepared for an obsession. I started with the idea of "a few
vines". I now have around 200 amongst three different varietals!

good luck -