Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
[email protected] davemchine@gmail.com is offline

Default growing grapes

I have been making beer for about 3 years but wine is a new adventure
for me. I am considering growing grapes in my back yard in order to
make small quantities of wine every year. I'd like to run my idea by
this crowd of experienced wine makers and make sure my plan is valid
and get some good advice.

My plan is to place 3 Zinfandal plants at 6ft spacing next to my fence.
My understanding is that I will need to train it up to my desired
height and then allow it to branch out along the fence.

I am also considering 3 more plants to grow up the posts of my porch to
form an overhang. I saw this at a winery this weekend and it was very
attractive.

So I'm wondering if this plan sounds workable, if I will need some type
of netting to keep birds off, what time of year to plant and where to
get the plants themselves. I am sure there are many issues I am not
thinking of. I appreciate any advice I can get from this group.

Thanks,

Dave