Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet OmManiPadmeOmelet is offline

Default Shotguns was: Mashed Turnips

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> >
> > I was informed (thru a lot of reading) that my .357 magnum Ruger Redhawk
> > pistol was actually rather dangerous for home defense purposes. That
> > whole issue of over-penetration and the danger of collateral damage
> > scares the crap out of me. I care more than that.

> Try loading it with 158 grain .38 Special soft lead hollowpoints. Use
> +P's if the Redhawk has a short barrel. You want a muzzle velocity of
> about 900 fps.

This Redhawk weighs nearly 4 lbs. and has a 7" barrel.
That increases muzzle velocity. It has a major OS factor. Hopefully it'd
be a sufficient deterrent but I'm not about to count on that.

And according to my ballistics textbook, slower, heavier rounds have an
INCREASED penetration due to a slower loss of velocity when meeting
barriers.

+P's are going to increase muzzle velocity iirc?.

I use 38 special ball ammo for target practice but it's loaded with 158
gr. Speer Gold Dot JHP's for anti-personel rounds.

It's all Cabellas stocks for that round of JHP's. It's what the local
LEO's use.

> That's what I use in my S&W K-frame, although I haven't figured out what
> powder to use for the least muzzle flash. (You don't have to reload
> them; Federal sells 'em, but they are sometimes hard to find.)
>
> I wouldn't choose a .357 Magnum for home defense because if I ever have
> to use it I probably won't have be wearing hearing protection.

Heh. I totally understand that... There are those on the gun forums that
suggest keeping hearing protection with the home defense guns, and using
it if you ever need to!

--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.