Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Shotguns was: Mashed Turnips

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> I was informed (thru a lot of reading) that my .357 magnum Ruger Redhawk
> pistol was actually rather dangerous for home defense purposes. That
> whole issue of over-penetration and the danger of collateral damage
> scares the crap out of me. I care more than that.

Try loading it with 158 grain .38 Special soft lead hollowpoints. Use
+P's if the Redhawk has a short barrel. You want a muzzle velocity of
about 900 fps.

That's what I use in my S&W K-frame, although I haven't figured out what
powder to use for the least muzzle flash. (You don't have to reload
them; Federal sells 'em, but they are sometimes hard to find.)

I wouldn't choose a .357 Magnum for home defense because if I ever have
to use it I probably won't have be wearing hearing protection.

Best regards,
Bob