Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob (this one) Bob (this one) is offline

Default Food freshness irony

Sheldon wrote:

> it
> says "best used by", not "do not use past". You also lack basic common
> sense... plus you're a mealy mouthed arrogant *******... you're who's
> stupid (seriously stupid), not the FDA.
>
> Salt does too go "bad", salt is a dessicant, salt is a magnet for
> moisture. I learned long ago not to stock up on bouillon cubes,
> especially not the powdered form... after about a year the texture of
> these products will have been seriously altered to something that's not
> too appetizing (sludge), and since it has absorbed *excess* moisture

It will have magically transported moisture right through
the plastic jar and plastic lid. Amazing that moisture...
huh...?

> (salt contains moisture naturally)

Salt is NaCl. Notice the absence of any "H" or "O" in there.
Much less a "2".

> the product will also have
> deteriorated texturally, and flavor wise (bouillon cubes do contain
> some dehydrated meat protein that when exposed to excess moisture will
> rehydrate and begin to rot).

Nonsense. The water activity is so low that it can be
described as preserved. Just like a country ham. And you
keep on about "excess" moisture. How much would that be?

> Ordinary table salt will typically
> survive longer than a year, at least those with anti-caking compounds
> added, otherwise after about a year you will typically have a solid
> block (put it out in the field as a salt lick).

It can do that if the container is permeable. But it's still
salt. Crunch it and it's perfectly usable. It has dissolved
and recrystallized and is still salt.

> But table salt,
> regardless whether it contains anti-caking compounds, very readily
> absorbs odors... keep salt in an air tight container and do not stock
> up on more than you can use in about a year, or it will go "bad" in
> that regard too...

<LOL> I bet that's why it's so smelly in salt mines. Not.
What moronic nonsense.

> bouillon cubes will also readily absorb odors, store
> in air tight glass containers.

More nonsense.

> The FDA doesn't require such warnings for nothing,

The FDA doesn't require such "warnings" at all. That would
be the corporate lawyer types who want "best by" dates, and
they're not about wholesomeness, just optimum quality as
judged by the company.

> it's to protect the
> stupids from themselves... unfortunately the printed warnings do not
> protect the functionally illiterate.

And readily available information doesn't permeate the
addled brains of those who think they already know.

Moron.

Pastorio