Dimitri

Default Carbonara with bacon...bits?

"Vince Poroke" > wrote in message
m...

<Snip>

> Who said anything about cream. You can put cream in it and make a
> mock cabonara. It would be called a smoked new york cheese cake. The
> basic ingredients are their and then you add your twist. That is what
> makes good cooking great. Take what someone else has done and make it
> fit your families pallet. I would not want to eat from a cook that
> doesn't know how to add his own personality to his cooking.

There is a problem here. Simply put there MAY be thousands of people who
believe Carbonara is made with bacon as they have never had or tasted
pancetta. I have no problem with people modifying dishes to suit their
pallet. The problem comes when they think or believe what they have
experienced is the "original or the best or the ONLY way" to make a
particular dish. Hell I thought ever kid had stroganoff every other
Thursday and all cakes were made with Bavarian Cream and had at least 4
layers. At 12 I tasted my first Hostess cupcake. I thought I had died and
gone to heaven. I was simply misinformed.

Do I really care whether someone has bacon or pancetta - nope. I do however
care if people misinform others either actively or passively through their
own ignorance.

I remember a man once at a counter in Chicago who ordered a "corned beef on
white and hold the mayo". He pitched a fit when the waitress yelled "corned
beef on white" to the back. He said but you forget the "no mayo". I will
not repeat what the waitress said to him. Where this person grew up corned
beef and mayo went together. What a world that man had missed.

I feel the same about pancetta. What a world some people are missing.

Oh yes and BTW my step grandfather was from Naples and did in fact tell me
the story of the charcoal makers who were making this classic way before WW
II.

Dimitri