Posted to alt.food.wine
Joseph Coulter[_1_] Joseph Coulter[_1_] is offline

Default Experiment Proposal

"Bryan" > wrote in
t:

> "Joseph Coulter" > wrote in message
> . 97.136...
>> "Bryan" > wrote in
>> et:
>>
>>> I'm proposing an experiment for this group. I would do it myself,
>>> but I haven't developed a discerning palate yet.
>>>
>>> How about a couple of you choose a couple of identical wines. Open
>>> each bottle. Taste each to ascertain equality. Decant half of each
>>> bottle for immediate consumption. Recork each bottle and put one
>>> the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days and leave one at room temperature
>>> for 3 to 5 days. Remove the refrigerated bottle and leave it next
>>> to the room temp bottle until it has truly achieved room temp.
>>> Reopen each bottle and taste again to ascertain equality or
>>> inequality. Report results to AFW. I'd really like to see your
>>> results. I'll do it, but I'm not sure you'll want to trust my
>>> palate.
>>>

>> What do you hope to prove? that warm temperatures and access to air
>> will degrade wine faster? that chilled wine with access to air
>> deteriorates more slowly? do you suspect that nothing happens. It is
>> the common wisdom that the cooled wine will hold up longer. Your
>> palate, I am sure will note the difference. go ahead try it.
>>
>> --
>> Joseph Coulter
>> Cruises and Vacations
>> http://www.josephcoulter.com/
>>

> I guess that the null hypothesis will be that there is no difference.
> I'll give it a try. I'm not sure that you believe that my palate is
> discerning enough to notice minor differences or that there will be
> such a big difference that even my palate can see the light. Either
> way, I get to drink some wine in the name of science. My contribution
> to humanity!

Actually, I really do believe that you will be able to tell the diference
as I really do believe that there will be a difference that is discernable.
If not, then most of what we believe is rubbish and you will have disabused
us of the conceit!

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations