Posted to alt.food.wine
Vilco[_1_] Vilco[_1_] is offline

Default Valpolicella: origins of the name

Michael Pronay wrote:

>> It comes from the latin "vallis polis cellae", which translates
>> to "valley of the many cellars".
>> As usual, someone doesn't agree with this ethimology, maybe
>> someday they'll suggest another one.

> <http://www.valpolicella.it/lev3.asp?ID=4&sez=Geografia>
> seems to disagree with you.

It perfectly matches with "As usual, someone doesn't agree with this
ethimology", IMHO.
This article suggests the name origins from the "great bend in the Adige
river" and quotes two other towns with a similar name: Polesine and
Polesella. The problem is that this thesis is very hard to believe at: ff
you search the origin of these two town names you will discover that they do
not come from a "great bend in a river" (expecially the Adige), but are
simply derives from the name of the River Po:
http://www.rovigobox.it/index.php?ac...dvis=1&chsez=2
Il toponimo Polesella deriva da Polesel e fa riferimento al fiume Po ed è
assonante con la denominazione Polesine che deriva dal greco bizantino polys
(molto) e kenós (vuoto) che potrebbe significare zona pianeggiante,
d'aspetto insulare, compresa tra due bracci di un fiume. Il comune è situato
al confine tra Veneto ed Emilia Romagna e tra le province di Rovigo e
Ferrara a ridosso del Po .
This article explains that the town name Polesella comes from the river Po
and is in assonance with two greek words for "flat area" between two rivers.
No bends in it.

Moreover, the majority of the articles I read about the Valpolicella name
are almost all on the side of the latin origin and this is the first time I
see this version, that's why I opt for the latin name version.

BTW: the greek term "polis" had been inherited by latins a pair of thousands
years ago.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'