Posted to alt.food.vegan
Elderberry Blossom Elderberry Blossom is offline

Default sign of the apacolypse

http://tinyurl.com/uvfrp
>>> I think I'll stick with a beer batter. dkw
>>>

>> Hold the whipped cream and the cherry

> Hey elderberry, your moniker...a few years ago when I was in the
> army at Ft. Know, some oriental people came around the housing area
> that was adjacent to a woods. It was spring, and the elderberry shrubs
> were some of the first plants to get leaves. They were leaves and not
> blossoms, but anyway these folks, I think they were Korean, were
> collecting the very young, yet-unopened leaf buds by the bagful,
> presumably to eat. I never tried them, but have often wondered if they
> were planning to cook and eat them. Do you know anything about that? dkw

My Mom makes fried elderberry blossoms. The blossom heads are dipped in
a think pancake type batter (no beer or coke) and deep fried. You only
want to eat these once or twice a year.

I found this about the leaves from >
http://www.primary.net/~gic/herb/elderberry.htm

> Elder leaves contain the flavonoids rutin and quercertin, alkaloids, vitamin C and sambunigrin, a cyanogenic glucoside.

Fresh elder leaves also contain hydrocyanic acid, cane sugar, invertin,
betulin, free fatty acids, and a considerable quantity of potassium nitrate

My Ukrainian neighbors collect the young Linden blossoms in the spring
and make tea out of the dried blossoms in the winter to prevent colds
and viruses