Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Michael Plant Michael Plant is offline

Default Maybe not iced (was: Iced tea?)

snip snip snip

[Lew]
> I'm afraid you're going to have a hard time getting complexity out of
> a beverage that's iced. Maybe you should consider brewing a good tea
> at room temperature, possibly for 15 minutes as a rule of thumb? In
> hot weather, it won't make you feel any hotter, and you sometimes get
> a surprising, creamy mouth feel due to lower astringency than with hot
> water brewing.

While you are going to have a hard time getting complexity, you will
certainly get flavor, and flavor and relaxation on a hot day is what you're
after presumably. A strong Formosa Oolong never failed me ever, and Keemun
will do just as well. Make 'em strong and add the ice. Yummers.

On the green tea front, I take my cold iced water in a thermos -- the kind
that provides a screen to keep tea leaves out of your mouth -- and add some
leaf. I use lesser Long Jing, but any will do. Then, let the tea brew slow
as you travel about sipping, and refill as required. I'm not sure about room
temperature, but my way works with refrigerator-cold water. Just adjust the
amount of leaf, and don't use premium expensive teas since you lose the
aroma and some of the nuance this way.

BTW, I've brewed Lew's way with teas that prefer a really low temperature
and found the method just fine. Bi Lo Chun is a good example of a tea that
responds well to this.

I've spoken, and that's it for me.

Michael