Posted to alt.food.wine
st.helier[_1_] st.helier[_1_] is offline

Default cost of wine to the environment

"cwdjrxyz" wrote ...............

> I wonder if Sicily is the best place for this type of study. Consider
> Mt. Etna. I would not be surprised if it belches out by far more sulfur
> compounds in various forms(including sulfur dioxide) than wine
> production in Sicily does. :-) .>

My sentiments exactly - one decent sized puff from Etna or nay of over 550
volcanoes which have erupted in historical times, makes a mockery of the
measurement of sulphur emissions.

As to the amount of plastic and or paper, I can only comment from my
experience within a small grape growing / wine making operation.

The place to which I was contracted was about twice the size of the Sicilian
producer.

Without seeing exactly how that figure was arrived at; I can categorically
say that we never generated 10 tonnes of plastic; nothing like it.

Yes, there are chemical containers and plastic wrap around bottles (all of
which can be recycled or otherwise disposed of with care and attention) -
but 10 tonnes is OTT.

--

st.helier