Posted to rec.food.cooking
TammyM[_1_] TammyM[_1_] is offline

Default Baked sweet potato fries?

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 12:16:02 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>Hiya all,
>
>Dinner for tonight is sort of planned... the infamous roast chicken
>with lemons, salad (romaine, cucumber, red onion, tomato, with
>vinagrette dressing of some sort.
>
>I have some sweet potatoes here...I was going to roast them, but my
>friend was saying she loved sweet potato fries. I am thinking baked
>fries, sorta..or thin wedges.... Has anyone done this?
>
>I have all my cookbooks, and maybe I will get the energy later on to
>look through them to find a recipe of the sort I want. But for now,
>I will ask here to see what you all have to say.

I've used this method to my satisfaction. I vary the spices. I
probably got the recipe off the net, can't remember and didn't make
note of it.

(did you get your "surprise"?) :-)

Oven-Baked Sweet Potato Fries

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 large (about 1 1/2 pounds) sweet potatoes

Prepare the sweet potatoes: In a small bowl, combine cumin, salt, and
pepper. Set aside. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Peel potatoes, cut
each in half lengthwise, and cut each half into 6 wedges. In a large
bowl, combine the cut potatoes, oil, and spice mixture. Toss until
potatoes are evenly coated.

Bake the fries: On a baking sheet, arrange potatoes in a single layer
and place on the middle shelf of the oven. Bake until edges are crisp
and potatoes are cooked through -- about 30 minutes. Serve
immediately.