Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Paul Covey Paul Covey is offline

Default Texas hili vs birria

Wayne Lundberg wrote:
> "Paul Covey" > wrote in message
>
>>Wayne Lundberg wrote:
>>
>>>This note is directed to real experts in Mexican/American food. All

> others
>
>>>please simply read and learn.
>>>

>>While I am not an expert, and usually learn when things are going well
>>in this group, I have saved stuff from the years I have followed the

> .
> Paul, in my humble opinion, this is about the most 'authentic' birria recipe
> I have ever seen, anywhere. Since my expertise is in eating the stuff at the
> rastro in Guadalajara, I can imagine the ingredients and means of cooking

Wayne, the person who I think was the original poster would be very
pleased with your using the "auth" word in rating the recipe (in the
abbreviations of my children, lol)!

I live in upstate NY, so don't have much opportunity to have good
Mexican food (why I learn from you folks). However, it is interesting
you say birria should be soupy, as I was in Las Vegas about a year ago,
and went to a Mexican restaurant well off the strip which I'd read
through google searches was supposed to be wonderful. I ordered birria,
which no Mexican restaurant would make here, and it was a wonderfully
soupy and hot dish. By the way, most of the tables had been pushed
together in the middle, and a huge family of all ages was having a
joyous dinner together. That told me a lot about the restaurant.

And on the topic of mole, I did a google search on our group, trying to
remember if there had been good discussions and recipes posted, and
found that there were many, several excellent. Wayne and David were
involved among others, including Linda and many other old regulars. I
suggest those who didn't get to see them do the search as I find mole
fascinating. By the way Wayne, I think my favorite post of all time was
yours that told how to make mole, the one that started with selecting
the oldest turkey you have, the slaughter, etc. Not that I would ever
make it that way, but it was great. I always liked that you included
the cultural ambiance if that is the right word. To me, that really is
more important for the dreaded "auth" word, than whether specific
ingredients are used in Mexico, etc.
Paul