Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food,alt.cooking-chat
Dutch Dutch is offline

Default What are the ethics regarding Fish Consumption?

"pearl" > wrote in message
> "Dutch" > wrote in message

>> > Evidence for -what-?

>> Apparently you do.

> Apparently

Obviously

>> > What will "all evaporate"? What indeed has it
>> > benefitted you to resort to the same old ad hominem crap that your
>> > equally desperate ex fellow trolls have shat a thousand times before?
>> > Nothing. They're gone without a shred of respect, and you'll follow.

>> The people who have wasted their time with you before have themselves to
>> blame.

> That's right

I know.

>> > They certainly are contradictory. Use your head to think for yourself.

>> No they're not.

> Man would not hunt animals that were too large or dangerous, because
> ........ man fears no animal. Yep...

Not in his element, in a well-armed group. No predator attacks man or any
other animal when they are well-defended.

>> > I was brought up to value decency, and I do. You are projecting.

>> BULL-SHIT, you don't have a shred of decency, if you did you would not
>> hold
>> the good people of the world in such contempt. An "F word" and you're
>> shrieking?? You're disgusting.

> Projection.

Accurate observation. You project your own self-loathing causing you to hold
the rest of the human race in contempt.

>> > Nothing to do with "Size, strength, endurance, hunting tactics,
>> > etc..etc..
>> > all the biological adapations that made hominids successful hunters."
>> >
>> > **"biological adaptations".**
>> >
>> > "early hominids"?
>> >
>> > '... while early humans ate some meat, we do not know how much meat
>> > they ate, nor whether they got the meat by hunting or scavenging. It is
>> > not until much later, around 100,000 years ago, that we have good
>> > evidence about human hunting skills, and it is clear that humans then
>> > were still very ineffective big-game hunters. Human hunters of 500,000
>> > years ago and earlier must have been more ineffective.

>> There's that "big-game" strawman again.

> You're the one claiming humans' endurance is because of hunting.

Endurance is one of the qualities that aids hunting. The game does not have
to be big.

> Marathon running rabbits, huh.

You're a two-dimensional person.

>> > Western male writers and anthropologists are not the only men with
>> > an exaggerated view of hunting. In New Guinea I have lived with real
>> > hunters, men who recently emerged from the stone age. .... To listen
>> > to my New Guinea friends, you would think that they eat fresh
>> > kangaroo for dinner every night and do little each day except hunt.
>> > In fact, when pressed for details, most New Guinea hunters admit
>> > that they have bagged only a few kangaroos in their whole life.
>> > The Rise and Fall of the Third Chimpazee, Jared Diamond, 1991,
>> > pp.33-34
>> > ...'
>> > http://web.archive.org/web/200303011...mc/origins.htm

>> "Venus-Veganmc.." Ya - right.

> More intelligence and knowledge in his big toe than you'll ever have.

I never hoped for intelligence in my big toe.

>> > "survive"? The Hadza (c) cannot rely on their 'hunters' to survive.

>> So? Survival depended on the ability to sustain the tribe through
>> shortages
>> of game or of edible plants.

> In those times it is the Hadza grandmothers who provide critical support.

Terrific, yay granny.

>> > Hominids were terrestrial frugivores.

>> Which hominids? What tribe, which period?

> ALL hominids.

Good lord. Did they live in caverns under mountains? Were they descended
from aliens?

>> [..]

>> > years ago and earlier must have been more ineffective. .." - The Rise
>> > and Fall of the Third Chimpazee, Jared Diamond, 1991, pp.33-34

>> > That depended on weapons and tools; not biological adaptations.

>> The ability to use weapons and tools is a biological adaptation,
>> selection
>> for intelligence, an adaptation you seem bent on reversing.

> 650,000 Iraqis killed since the beginning of your 'war', according to a
> new study, from your "ability to use weapons". How does that fit into
> your "biological adaptation" and "selection for intelligence" scenario?
>
>> > Humans canot "take down" large animals with their bare hands.

>> A weakened buffalo, separated from the herd, with several spears to the
>> vitals.

> "weakened" how?

Any number of possible ways. Think. Fatigue, hit by a spear, injured, old,
young.

> How do you 'separate it from the herd' exactly?

Planning to do some hunting are you? You *surround it* once it falls back
from the herd. There are always stragglers. I can't believe I am bothering
to answer such stupid questions.

>> > The usual evasion. The only rubbish here is coming from you.

>> The usual rubbish, you think you can make a case by sheer volume.

> Real scientists with genuine research.

Sometimes, always chosen selectively, seldom making the point you claim.

> You are a foolish liar.

Omigod I am shocked at such language <shriek!>

>> Your audience: "Look pearl pasted more quotes than Dutch, she wins".

> You've lost it, troll. It is quality, not quantity, that counts.

Then you lost ages ago.

>> > --unrestore--

>> That didn't prove what you claim. Hominids hunted

> Unproven assertion.

You're not only so arrogant that you believe you can rewrite human morality,
you believe you can rewrite history too.

>> AND gathered, the two are
>> not mutually exclusive, hence the term "hunter-gatherer". We do it to
>> this
>> day. Also "big game" is not necessarily the only or primary form of
>> hunting.
>> Subsistence hunters to this day hunt for small animals like rodents or
>> rabbits. That behaviour is still seen in isolated tribes.

> Using weapons and tools - a recent development; not running after them.

Weapons and tools are not a recent development, even apes use them.