Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: Larose-Trintaudon, Rogue Valley PN

Monday Betsy made a steak over horseradish-dressed salad for one of the
last al fresco meals of the year. I opened the 2000 Ch.
Larose-Trintaudon (Haut-Medoc). This is one of the largest vineyards in
Bordeaux, and I've never known it to make exciting wine. But Zachys has
the 2000 for $8.99, and at that price I decided to try a couple. Rather
low-acid, medium black plum fruit with a little cassis. A little
herb/tobacco note. There's some tannic structure here (more than in
most L-Ts) and it stands up to the steak ok. Finish is short for a B2K,
and at it's normal $15 or so I'd probably prefer numerous satellite
Bdx, but for an $9 cab blend this isn't bad. B

Tuesday I told Betsy I'd do dinner, and did my standard semi-teriyaki
salmon on the grill. I actually did two sides, and followed recipes for
both- panko-crusted asparagus ( adapted from a book called "How We
Cook", recipe by Arlene Jacobs) and broccoli with warm bacon dressing
(from Gourmet restaurant issue). I opened a 375 of the 2002 Foris
Pinot Noir (Rogue Valley). I think Betsy's dad has a cousin of
something who works for Foris, so I sometimes pick up when I see a
bottle. I think this wine (Rogue is more southern Oregon) reminds me
more of a California PN than what I think of as Oregon. Seemingly a
little sharp at first, settles down into warm cherry fruit with notes
of black tea and cola. OK, but I think I prefer good Willamette PNs as
a style. B-