Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.chocolate,sci.materials
Mark Thorson Mark Thorson is offline

Default What is Plattinol ???

Chembake wrote:

> I have been using polycarbonate chocolate molds for long time and I
> don't think there is such as coating....
> Indeed its a lot better than tin molds but not because of the
> existence of such coating.
>
> Maybe just a sales pitch in order to sell more polycarbonate molds?

Anton Reiche went out of business a long time ago,
after WW2 when they ended up in East Germany.
Many consider Reiche molds to be the best ever.

Whymper's book mentioning the Plattinol plating
was published in 1921. The base metal of Reiche molds
is something that rusts, presumably iron or steel.
Apparently, the problem with tin is that it results
in a matte surface, which in turn results in less
glossy molded chocolate surfaces. Plattinol gives
a smoother surface, resulting in glossier chocolates.

I'd like to know what Plattinol really is.