Posted to rec.food.cooking
cybercat cybercat is offline

Default Outcome, was Chicken Thighs: The New Frontier, and a Question

"Leonard Blaisdell" > wrote
> The only way my wife will eat thighs is in chicken and dumplings and
> chicken and noodles after I strip and rip the skeleton and she can't
> find the difference. All my whole chickens are made into those if we are
> eating alone. Well, she'll gladly eat fried chicken white meat.

Bet her mother never cooked the dark meat, or never served chicken
on the bone.My husband's mother is .... a pill. She prides herself on
everything being very precise, cleans for a HOBBY, that sort of thing.
She is a terrible cook, too. On top of it, she only served meats and
poultry boneless. Ugh. (She actually stopped cooking in her forties
because "it's so messy." And has the health problems one might
expect from eating processed sh*t all the time. She does still make
a soup that contains nothing but canned ingredients, including canned
carrots, which I had never even heard of. She has lived in her current
house for five years and never used her oven. She gives me the willies.

Anyway, my mama, daughter of Virginia hillbillies and German farmer
immigrants, made chicken and dumplings on the bone, skin included!
The bones added flavor, and we just picked around them so there was
a pile of skin and bones on the plate when we were finished! I have
had this dish without the skin and bones and it may be more convenient
but it is not nearly as good. Or, stuffed pork chops on the bone. If
I serve my husband something like this, good earthy "messy" old
cooking, he will get a look on his face like I am trying to kill him.
And spend a long time carefully excising any bone before he takes
a bite. Happily, she couldn't ruin him completely.