Posted to rec.food.cooking
cybercat cybercat is offline

Default Chicken Thighs: The New Frontier, and a Question

"-L." > wrote
> You can, but what I would do is either pour off the marinade (or toss
> it and make new), cook it separately in a pan to reduce/thicken, and
> add it at the last 15 minutes to finish the dish. The problem is you
> have a lot of soy which, when reduced gets extremely salty.

Yeah, this makes sense! Plus the vinegar, when reduced, might be
icky with all that salty soy. And I always use enough garlic to keep
a Sumo Vampire at bay!

> Personally, I'd bake them at 300-350 until done and finish with the
> sauce later. They are already marinated, so they have the flavor.
> Cooking the sauce down and browning it on the chicken will be tasty.
>

> FWIW, I use soy sauce sparingly due to the salt factor. One trick to
> getting that "Chinese" BBQ/sweet/hot taste is Sriracha sauce. It's
> hot, but there is flavor to it that I cannot reproduce any other way.

I have never seen this! But Raleigh has so many fru-fru specialty shops,
I know it must be around.

> I also sometimes use pineapple and plum preserves as sweeteners when
> cooking chinese. It gives a sweetness with a fruity undertone, which
> is common in some types of Chinese cooking.

Sounds perfect.

> I just scored an old book on Chinese cooking - over 1000 pages. It has
> all sorts of recipes from the simple to the elaborate. I can't wait
> to get some time to do some major reading of it...

Yum, hope you post some! I have never learned to properly use my
Calphalon wok. And I have had it for eight years!

Thanks for the good advice.