Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian
pearl[_1_] pearl[_1_] is offline

Default What are the ethics regarding Fish Consumption?

"Dutch" > wrote in message ...

> "Glorfindel" > wrote
> > Gary wrote:

> [..]
>
> >> Man has always been a hunter and killer. The vegetarianism came later as
> >> an alternative.

> > That is something we cannot prove conclusively from available
> > evidence.

> Archeological evidence is clear that hominid bands hunted and fished from
> the very beginning, it's why they were so successful in so many varied
> environments.

'The Oldest Homo Sapiens: Fossils Push Human Emergence
Back To 195,000 Years Ago

When the bones of two early humans were found in 1967 near
Kibish, Ethiopia, they were thought to be 130,000 years old. A
few years ago, researchers found 154,000- to 160,000-year-old
human bones at Herto, Ethiopia. Now, a new study of the 1967
fossil site indicates the earliest known members of our species,
Homo sapiens, roamed Africa about 195,000 years ago.

"It pushes back the beginning of anatomically modern humans,"
says geologist Frank Brown, a co-author of the study and dean of
the University of Utah's College of Mines and Earth Sciences.
Brown says that pushing the emergence of Homo sapiens from
about 160,000 years ago back to about 195,000 years ago "is
significant because the cultural aspects of humanity in most cases
appear much later in the record - only 50,000 years ago - which
would mean 150,000 years of Homo sapiens without cultural stuff,
such as evidence of eating fish, of harpoons, anything to do with
music (flutes and that sort of thing), needles, even tools. This
stuff all comes in very late, except for stone knife blades, which
appeared between 50,000 and 200,000 years ago, depending on
whom you believe."

Fleagle adds: "There is a huge debate in the archeological literature
regarding the first appearance of modern aspects of behavior such
as bone carving for religious reasons, or tools (harpoons and things),
ornamentation (bead jewelry and such), drawn images, arrowheads.
They only appear as a coherent package about 50,000 years ago,
and the first modern humans that left Africa between 50,000 and
40,000 years ago seem to have had the full set. As modern human
anatomy is documented at earlier and earlier sites, it becomes
evident that there was a great time gap between the appearance of
the modern skeleton and 'modern behavior.'"

The study moves the date of human skulls found in Ethiopia's
Kibish rock formation in 1967 back from 130,000 years to a newly
determined date of 195,000 years ago, give or take 5,000 years.
Fossils from an individual known as Omo I look like bones of
modern humans, but other bones are from a more primitive cousin
named Omo II.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0223122209.htm