Posted to rec.food.cooking
Christopher Helms Christopher Helms is offline

Default So hey, I have a few questions

Peri Meno wrote:
> So I've recently rekindled my love affair with cooking, right? Now I'm
> all addicted to the Food Network, watching the shows, always open for
> new recipe ideas and stuff. Anyway, and this has been bothering me, the
> other day it dawns on me that a lot of these cooks, chefs, whathaveyous
> don't use potholders/oven mitts, but instead they use their towels. The
> only one I've seen using cutesy oven mitts is Giada. So what's up with
> that? Is it just not cool to use oven mitts? Should I get rid of mine?
>
> Second question. I've noticed that Rachel uses all these generic
> looking products. Her cans read "Chicken Stock" or "Wild Salmon" or
> whatever. Her spices are "Cumin" or "Turmeric" or xyz... I mean, I
> never see a brand, you know? Does she have people on her staff that
> print up special labels to cover up the brands? I'm just wondering.

Food Network did one of those "Behind the scenes" type shows and they
talked to the guy who makes up the fake labels. I don't think Food
Network hosts are supposed to be seen using specific brands on their
shows without sponsorship agreements. For ages Emeril would tell people
to "go to the icebox and get one of them frozen things," because
apparently he wasn't supposed to specifically refer to Oreos. If you
watch his show regularly you know that's what he was talking about, but
he wasn't supposed to use the "O" word.