Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food,alt.cooking-chat
pearl[_1_] pearl[_1_] is offline

Default What are the ethics regarding Fish Consumption?

> wrote in message ups.com...
>
> pearl wrote:
> > >
> > > You conveniently left out the most relevant difference between man and animal.
> > > Unlike animals, except for a few minor exceptions like a bird or monkey using a
> > > stick, man has the brain power to invent tools to do what he needs done.

> > Man is fortunate to have hands, which enables such activities.
> >
> > 'Natural carnivores have the inherent anatomical equipment provided
> > as their birthright with which to apprehend, capture, kill, and rend their
> > quarry.

> Man has tools.

Man NEEDS tools.

> > Dogs have powerful jaws that inflict fatal wounds to their prey.
> > Humans however, have no sharp claws for tearing; no sharply pointed
> > fangs for slashing; nor are our eyes or olfactory senses well developed
> > for hunting.

> Man has eyes at the front of the head for excellent depth perception
> and relatively poor peripheral vision, as does all predators.
> Non-predators have the eyes on the side of their heads, have relatively
> poor depth perception but great peripheral vision.

'b. Vision
1. Color vision - tree dweller who eats fruit - need color vision
to see fruit
a. Contrast with dogs and cats - no color vision - they have
better vision in dim light
b. Steroscopic vision - both eyes directed forward
1. Better able to judge distances in trees
http://www.siue.edu/~rbrugam/humevol.html

> > Nor is the human body designed to run fast enough to
> > capture prey. Humans cannot grab animals in their mouth as do dogs,
> > coyotes, wolves, jackals, lions, tigers, or cats. We instead inflict more
> > damage with our hands and brute strength.

> and tools.

Noted.

> organized group hunts. snares and traps. bows and arrows,
> spears, clubs, ropes, etc.
>
> And gathering apllies to the collection of small creatures like bugs
> and water creatures like mollusks etc.

Yum!

> > Humans do however, have
> > marvelous fingers, thumbs, and limbs for reaching, climbing and
> > grabbing.

> and fashioning snares and traps and tools to hunt with.

Noted.

> > Our natural food gathering capacity is very similar to the
> > chimpanzees. Fruitarians of the primate order also have revolving joints
> > in their shoulder, wrist, and elbow joints that allow for free movement
> > in all directions. Frugivores have soft pliable, sensitive hands and
> > fingers with opposable thumbs and flat nails that are perfect for
> > grasping and gathering fruit.
> > ............'
> > http://www.iol.ie/~creature/BiologicalAdaptations.htm
> >
> > Suggest you have a good read at all of these links.

> Children have died in the care of parents who forced them into a
> fruitarin existence. If that does not convince you then you are a fool.

That case where they gave their child FISH oil? (hint)

> > > Man has always been a hunter and killer. The vegetarianism came later as an
> > > alternative.

> > False. It is the other way around.

> man has always been a hunter and a killer when ther was something to
> hunt and kill. They resorted to vegetarianism only when forced to.

Repeat it a thousand more times and it still won't be true.

> > 'Ethnographic parallels with modern hunter-gatherer communities
> > have been taken to show that the colder the climate, the greater
> > the reliance on meat. There are sound biological and economic
> > reasons for this, not least in the ready availability of large amounts
> > of fat in arctic mammals. From this, it has been deduced that the
> > humans of the glacial periods were primarily hunters, while plant
> > foods were more important during the interglacials.
> > http://www.phancocks.pwp.blueyonder..../devensian.htm

> Circular logic. Of course the northern peoples relied more on meat,
> while southern peoples ate more plant foods.

Not according to what you (erroneously) claim above.

> > Humans Evolved To Be Peaceful, Cooperative And Social
> > Animals, Not Predators
> > http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medi...p?newsid=38011
> >
> > 'Linneaus, who introduced binomial nomenclature (naming plants
> > and animals according to their physical structure) wrote: "Man's
> > structure, external and internal, compared with that of other animals
> > shows that fruit and succulent vegetables constitute his natural food."
> > ..
> > "In fact, at least two-thirds of the inhabitants of the world make
> > so little use of flesh that it can hardly be considered an essential
> > part of their diet...."
> > http://www.all-creatures.org/murti/tsnhod-14.html

> I always find it interesting to see how very well respected scientists
> from ages ago were still completely off the mark on some topics.

Clue. It is YOU who's still completely off the mark, tunderbar.