Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Samartha Deva[_1_] Samartha Deva[_1_] is offline

Default Is my starter dead?

Hey Juice,

If you mention "suddenly", it may need a closer look.

Sourdough does not change "suddenly" and not without a reason which
often remains mysterious.

All essential information you give is:

- starter was ok
- starter no longer ok
- starter shows hooch

That's normal behavior for a mistreated starter. You probably insulted
it and now it shows you the hooch (finger in starterland).

To give some more information could enlighten the issue which is
probably what you are looking for.

- where and how do you keep your starter
- at what temperature do you keep your starter
- what kind of a starter (or flour you use) is it
- how much do you feed it - ratios of flour in starter to flour addition
- what are the feeding intervals

If you disclose more information along those lines, the reason for the
insult can probably be found.

And note, it is probably not a good idea to insult your starter. They
can take revenge at the most unpleasant situations.

Samartha

http://www.mountainbitwarrior.com/ma...food.sourdough