Posted to rec.food.cooking
pfoley pfoley is offline

Default What to serve?

"Chatty Cathy" > wrote in message
> Long story short. Got two delegates coming for a software training
> course (for three days next week). Too few to make hiring a venue and
> getting in professional caterers for it to be cost effective...
>
> So, we are going to have the course here at our place. They will have
> one hour for lunch (at about 1pm) and I have volunteered to do the

catering.

> So... what can I prepare that will be "ready on time" and will be tasty?
>
> My list so far (thanks also go to some of the "chatters" on the channel
> for these ideas).
>
> Day 1: Chicken (roasted) with seasonable veggies
> Day 2: Shrimp with salad and/or garlic bread... or some sort of curry
> (beef or lamb?)
> Day 3: Beef-steaks, maybe some lamb chops, or ribs? and some of our
> traditional boerewors (sausage) done on the grill (that way they can
> tell me how they like their steaks done. Thought of chucking some
> potatoes on the fire too? Oh, and some "pap" - corn meal porridge -
> another traditional side-dish...
>
> I am a bit wary of pork - too many people don't eat it, for various

reasons.

> What about desserts?
>
> I will buy various sodas, get some bottled water, peanuts, candies etc.
> for them to "munch" on during the course. Tea and coffee will be served
> along with biscuits at 10am and 3pm...
>
> So what have I forgotten?
>
> Any suggestions welcome!
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

=======
I think if you only have one hour, and since it is lunch time, a soup and
sandwich course would be good. I, personally, would not want a heavy meal
in the middle of the day. Another day, you could serve a sandwich and
salad. Change the sandwiches and the soup and salad each day. Have fresh
fruit available with cheese and crackers and maybe some little pickup
pastries for dessert, tea, coffee and soda and water to drink.