Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_4_] sf[_4_] is offline

Default Apple Crisp

On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 02:21:34 GMT, Puester >
wrote:

>Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>

>> I think the most interesting thing I learned about apples in the last
>> year is that, regardless of pedigree, they will taste different
>> depending on where they are grown. I suppose it makes sense,but I'd
>> never thought about it at all. Guy was saying that the Honeycrisps are
>> grown in Washington but they're not the same as where they were born.

>Very true. We used to love picking MacIntosh and Cortlands at the
>orchard when we lived in New England. Since moving to Colorado, I've
>found Michigan MacIntosh that are mealy and tasteless.

really? things have changed then, because Michigan apples were full
of flavor and crisp - especially after I'd moved to CA and had
Washington and California apples to compare them to. Can't say I've
ever had a New England apple, but if the winters are colder than in
Michigan I don't doubt NE apples taste better.

> I don't think
>I've seen the Cortlands at all. The tastiest apples we can get locally
>are Galas and Fijis.

Merely OK. They are like choosing which one isn't the worst. I never
say "good", I say "not too bad". It could be worse, like a
"delicious" apple. Ugh! Wanna talk tasteless and mealy apples?
That's the epitome of it.