Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel Dan Abel is offline

Default Canned Black Beans

In article >,
George > wrote:

> Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> >> Its always the second item on the list of ingredients (high fructose corn
> >> syrup = sugar), I (and numerous friends) can taste it, and a trusted
> >> friend who is a food chemist and actually formulates the stuff for a major
> >> industrial food company that you would instantly recognize verified it.

Is your trusted friend a bagger or a stocker at the supermarket?

> > That doesn't support your claim that "jarred sauces are typically 30~50%
> > sugar," does it? I don't dispute that jarred sauces contain sugar, I dispute
> > that they contain as much sugar as you claim. Unless the THIRD ingredient on
> > the list comprises more than 30% of the sauce, you're likely to be wrong.
> >
> > Furthermore, you're lying when you state that it's "always the second item
> > on the list of ingredients." I don't know what brands you've canvassed, but
> > they're obviously not the same ones that appear in my grocery store.

> Lying is a really strong accusation.

It's OK, we're used to liars on this group.

> I have not observed any brand that
> does not list sugar as the second ingredient.

Have you looked at any labels?

> Exactly how does that make
> me a liar?

I needed to get some stuff at the store. I spent five minutes looking
at the jarred pasta sauces. I looked at about ten different kinds
(three different brands). Not one had sugar or any variation of it as
the first or second ingredient. One had no sugar at all. Two had corn
syrup as their third ingredient. I think that makes you a liar.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA