Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel Dan Abel is offline

Default Canned Black Beans

In article >,
George > wrote:

> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> > George wrote:
> >
> >> Sure, the idea of adding a pinch of sugar does that and if you have a
> >> quality tomato that isn't even necessary. But jarred sauces are typically
> >> 30~50% sugar

> > Please point to a reputable source which supports your outlandish figure.
> >
> > Bob
> >

> Its always the second item on the list of ingredients (high fructose
> corn syrup = sugar), I (and numerous friends) can taste it, and a
> trusted friend who is a food chemist and actually formulates the stuff
> for a major industrial food company that you would instantly recognize
> verified it.
>

> And its nothing outlandish, most jarred sauces have become dessert
> toppings. You can taste it for yourself. have someone make a typical
> marinara and then open a jar of sauce and present them to you and
> friends for comparison. Some people may even think the real marinara is
> "disgusting" because of its lack of sweetness.

I think it's outlandish. I won't buy them, both because of the sugar
and also the price. Plain old tomato sauce works just fine, for much
less money and much less sugar. Just add a dash of Italian spices and
you are set. Still has the same amount of sodium though, and the sugar
is still high (although not in the list of ingredients, so they must be
sweet tomatoes).

Still, where did you (George) get the 30-40%? Is that by weight, volume
or calories? Here is a site with a label:

http://www.delmonte.com/products/TomatoItem.asp?id=130

I calculate 8% sugars by weight for the above. The generic tomato sauce
from my garage is about half of that.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA