Posted to rec.food.cooking
limey limey is offline

Default Jumbo Lump Crab Prices!???

"Dawn" wrote:

> And still, I gotta wonder, if they hadn't decided to be the supplier for
> the western hemisphere, would there still be fish and crab in the
> Chesapeake? Demand is up because they pushed it in the 80's. Now, oops,
> they're nearly out.
>
> I wonder how much crab my local Whole Foods throws out because folks
> around here just weren't raised with 'fish', and don't buy it.
>
> Dawn

We started boating in 1969 and at that time striped bass (rockfish) were a
bumper crop. I still remember being horrified when one of my co-workers
bragged that he had caught 110 rockfish that weekend! Who, in the world,
could justify that many? Rockfish went down steadily each year because of
the increasing numbers of recreational fishermen, thus the moratorium.

With crabs, the crab houses would purchase blue crabs from Louisiana in the
off season. What most people don't know, though, is that the famous
Phillips people here purchase their crabmeat from South East Asia.

Sorry for the soapbox, but I am saddened to see the state of the Bay today.

Dora