Posted to rec.food.cooking
Andy[_2_] Andy[_2_] is offline

Default Test

Andy said...

> Click me?!?
>

> This has been a test of bybassing the tinypic url and direct the rfc
> members to the abf graphic posts.
>
> Andy

We can use the header in every usenet post to redirect people to other
posts!!!

took you to another newsgroup to my picture post.

We can use this to send brand new topic questions that are already
covered at length in older posts by directing them to a usenet "message-
id" link of the pertinent post, rather than re-re-create the old thread
anew.

As an example, if a new topic arrives about "Pizza dough recipes" from a
new user, if YOU remember that thread from awhile ago, it would be a
cinch to dig back 50,000 posts or more to get to the beginning of a
"Pizza dough recipe" thread and open it to grab the message-ID tag and
reply to the original poster with the link to that post.

Well, why can't they just google through the groups?

Well, they can but it'll take an unwelcome reply to send them there,
rather than being a good Usenet ambassador and take them by the hand and
help out.

There is the matter of news server retention, which I haven't tested at
any length, so the jury is still out on that aspect. Text-only newsgroups
have a much longer retention rate.

This has been a beta test of the Message-ID url transfer system.

Just remember to double-click?!

Andy