Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
chico chupacabra chico chupacabra is offline

Default organic spinach at center of outbreak

wrote:

<...>
> > Ask yourself, which would I choose: Side effects, or
> > no side effects? It's a very simple answer. Isn't it?

> Not always. Sometimes

Just "sometimes"?

> isolating the compounds that you are interested
> in can eliminate side effects. You probably want ethanol, rather than
> a mix including methanol, for example.

<...>

<snip Lesley's horseshit from a pseudoscience website>

> I think part of the problem is that it's difficult to be precise with
> dosages - because each plant has varying concentrations of the "active
> ingredients". However, that same problem stays a problem even with
> precisely measured pure compounds, because the patients also vary in
> the effects.

Not so much that standardized doses can't be computed. It's not like
every patient is prescribed the same dose to be taken the same number of
times per day.

> Nice computer-labelled plastic pillboxes look very
> precise, but aren't necessarily.

A lot more so than you suggest, but what else is new.

> Surely off topic here but that's OK.
>
> Part of the problem is simply education. Some people don't even know
> of the medicinal properties of garlic,

Can you cite any double blind studies, preferably written and available
in English, which demonstrate "medicinal properties" of garlic?

> and they aren't going to learn
> by watching pharmaceutical ads on TV, and a healthcare culture that
> insists - never think for yourself.

According to whom?

> Consult your healthcare professional.

Wise counsel considering how much harder it is to undo the damage you
can cause yourself from quackery -- e.g., eating more garlic or getting
foot massages for something a little more serious than either "folk
remedy" is acceptable therapy -- compared to messing up your taxes.

> Another problem is this vestige of the monarchy system
> that we still have hanging around, known as "intellectual property
> law".

What's wrong with copyrights, patents, and other forms of protecting
one's work?