Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default non-hydrogenated frying oils

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 23:02:00 -0400, Julia Altshuler wrote:
>
> > Now I"m thinking that this should be called "pan frying" or
> > "griddle frying."

> If you have to narrow it down - pan frying would be the term to
> use. Just calling it "frying" doesn't fit the definition.
>
> Of course 'sautéing pancakes' sounds even sillier, but since we
> were throwing technical definitions around, it was more
> appropriate than "frying".
>
> Most people just say "I made/make pancakes". Frying is what
> you'd do to make donuts or funnel cakes.

Some people, including me, say "baking pancakes" because pancakes are
actually little cakes. I cook them on a nonstick electric pan with no
oil or butter, or I cook them on a griddle, which I will wipe with a
paper towel moistened with oil just to ensure the cakes don't stick.
Neither is anywhere close to frying. The OP says he fries French toast
in so much oil that a noticeable amount is absorbed into the food. I'd
say there's a cooking problem there, not a semantic one. -aem