Posted to rec.food.cooking
wff_ng_7 wff_ng_7 is offline

Default non-hydrogenated frying oils

"Matt" > wrote:
> The Cook wrote:
>> On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 21:25:40 GMT, Matt >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I am looking for an oil to use for frying.
>>>
>>> I don't want to use hydrogenated oils (notably Crisco and other
>>> shortenings) because of health concerns.

>> Check out the Crisco in the green can. It is no hydrogenated and has
>> no trans fats.

> Here is the key point:
>
>> 1. Under FDA regulations, "if the serving contains less than 0.5 gram [of
>> trans fat], the content, when declared, shall be expressed as zero."

> http://www.bantransfats.com/newlabeling.html

I hate to break the bad news to you, but eventually you are going to die.
Happens to just about everyone as far as I know.

You have to balance the relative risks of various things in your life. You
are probably more likely to die in a car accident going to the store to get
your "not really zero trans fat Crisco" than dieing from using the this
Crisco. Maybe you should not fry to begin with. Not exactly the healthiest
way to prepare food. But you better not bake it either, or you'll die from
eating acrylimides formed from starches in that process. Better eat things
raw, but then you'll die from e. coli or samonella.

I use canola oil when I fry pancakes. I must use a significantly different
technique than you, because I don't run into any issues with smell or
smoking. I use a cast iron griddle over two gas burners on the stove, and
basically use the age old method of heating it until drops of water will
"dance" on the griddle surface to tell when the proper temperature is
reached. I don't see any smoke or detect any bad odors.

I do use shortening to make pie crusts. I switched to Crisco "zero" trans
fat this year from their standard product. Maybe it isn't completely trans
fat free, but it is sure a lot less than the standard product. The results
for this application seem to be identical to what I got before. I guess I
could use an all butter or a lard crust, but those aren't healthy either.
Maybe I should just give up pie? But this peach pie tastes so good!

I'd say go have a good stiff drink and relax... but you'll probably get some
liver problems from that. I guess there's just nothing safe these days.

--
( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )