Posted to rec.food.cooking
Matt[_6_] Matt[_6_] is offline

Default non-hydrogenated frying oils

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> Matt wrote:
>> I am looking for an oil to use for frying.
>>
>> I don't want to use hydrogenated oils (notably Crisco and other
>> shortenings) because of health concerns.
>>
>> The problem is that the liquid oils I have tried start to smoke or smell
>> rancid when frying.
>>
>> Specifically I want something for frying french toast or pancakes.
>>
>> Something that won't smoke or smell bad at frying temperatures.

> When I think of frying at high temperatures in oil, I think of deep
> frying, as in deep frying french fries, or fish and chips, or tempura,
> or fried chicken.

Thanks for your reply. By 'frying' I mean cooking in oil or fat, not
necessarily deep oil. Eg. fried chicken.

transitive verb
1 : to cook in a pan or on a griddle over heat especially with the use
of fat

Okay, what word do people use when preparing french toast? Hopefully
something more specific than 'cook' or 'make' or 'fix'.