Posted to rec.food.cooking
Andy[_2_] Andy[_2_] is offline

Default non-hydrogenated frying oils

Matt said...

> I am looking for an oil to use for frying.
>
> I don't want to use hydrogenated oils (notably Crisco and other
> shortenings) because of health concerns.
>
> The problem is that the liquid oils I have tried start to smoke or

smell
> rancid when frying.
>
> Specifically I want something for frying french toast or pancakes.
>
> Something that won't smoke or smell bad at frying temperatures.
>
> Thanks.

The healthiest oil is olive oil. Add a pat of butter to a tablespoon of
olive oil for better flavor.

You don't actually "fry" french toast or pancakes! I don't think there's
any way to cook french toast or pancakes without accempting the lingering
aroma.

If you want to deep-fry, peanut oil has the highest smoke point but it
certainly will leave a stink behind if not super-well ventilated.

If you're really concerned about your health, what are you doing eating
french toast or pancakes, drowned in butter and maple syrup to begin
with?

But you asked...

Andy