Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Bob Becker Bob Becker is offline

Default Sharing - Fun With Labels

I've been doing this wine thing for about five months now, and it's been a
lot of fun.
I thought I'd share some of my experiences with labels for my wine.

After about six iterations of label designs I hit upon the idea of using
labels
featuring Maine animals. I designed a general format to use for all the
labels
so now I have an "identity" for all my wines.
So far I have designed labels for the following:
Black Bear Cabernet
Lonely Loon Pinot Grigio
Plump Puffin Port
Laughing Lobster Gewurztraminer
and my favorite...
Morose Moose Merlot

I designed the labels using MS Publisher and discovered that four labels
on an 8.5x11 page work perfectly. Each of the four fits very well on a
750ml bottle.
I also discovered that ink jet ink runs when a bottle sweats after removing
it from
a refrigerator. So now I put the labels on my flash memory, take it down to
Staples,
and have them print it on their color laserjet. It works out to about 10
cents/label
and it the labels don't run when the bottle sweats.

I'd certainly be happy to e-mail an MS Publisher file of a label as a sample
to anyone who is interested in designing their own.

--
Bob Becker

www.becker.org