Carnivore269

Default Cooking "cheats" for the time challenged...

"Jeffrey P. Vasquez" > wrote in message .77>...
> Carnivore269 wrote:
> > Let's hope so...
> > Re-using marinade is extra dangerous.
> > Or so I've been taught?

> Argh! Let's not get off-topic. Start a new thread, if you really must
> revisit the microbiology. Better yet just ignore my suggestion, if it
> scares you.

<guilty look> Sorry! I really don't want to see this thread degenerate
off of the subject line. After all, I started it. <G>
I'm a lab tech. I know plenty about microbiology so can make up my own
mind. :-) I'd just advise caution (like keeping everything cold and
not going over 24 hours). I'd probably feel ok re-using beef or fish
marinade, or even pork, but I've had Salmonella and it's not fun, so
I'd be far more cautious of re-using chicken marinade.

Well, enough of that! LOL!

> > I've been cheating a LOT lately with marinades and using commercial
> > salad dressings! Kraft makes some good ones. I did chicken the other
> > day with their Honey Dijon dressing with a little lemon pepper and
> > garlic powder for barbecued split breasts. It was divine...... ;-) I
> > normally use their plain italian or creamy italian. Ceaser works well
> > too for a chicken marinade.
> >
> > Now I gotta check them out for a good one for beef. Any suggestions?

> I call this "Found Object Cuisine." This is one of the biggest time-
> savers in meal prep.
>
> 2) Here's my Found Object BBQ sauce recipe:
>
> 1/2 bottle on-sale brand X mesquite BBQ sauce
> 1/2 bottle on-sale brand Y hickory/spicy BBQ sauce
> 1-2 tbsp Worcestershire
> 1 tsp fish sauce
> 1 tsp horseradish vinegar (or less depending)
> 1 tsp tabasco sauce
> Salt & pepper to taste
>
> Mix all and heat.
> Preparation time: 3 minutes.
>
> I loathe store-bought BBQ sauces, because they're too sweet and too
> bland. However, making BBQ sauce from scratch is just horrifically time-
> consuming. I find combining different brands pleasantly offsets the worst
> qualities of either alone. This trick works with lots of consumer food
> products.
>
> NB: I keep diced horseradish in a bottle with rice vinegar -- substitute
> accordingly and don't overdo it. It's very easy to put too much in and
> take the BBQ sauce to the other side of the scale.

Hmmmmm... interesting recipe. :-) I tend to modify commercial BBQ
sauces by just using some additional spices/herbs. I really do like
Kraft regular. As for marinades, I messed up earlier. I use a lot of
Wish Bone brand, not Kraft. Kraft tends to add too much "sweet" to
their salad dressings.

Sometimes just plain lemon or vinegar, soy sauce, lemon pepper and
garlic will do. :-) Or Kikoman light teryaki sauce! That one is good
for a lot of things and is the primary ingredient in my jerky
marinade. I make beef, deer and emu jerky. In fact, I've got a bunch
of emu in the freezer right now that needs to be jerked! Jerky
marinades are a whole 'nuther subject...

Kraft regular BBQ sauce on chicken in the microwave is quite good.
Chicken is pretty much the only meat tho' at least in my experience,
that comes out good in the microwave. (Another on topic for the
subject <G>) I use a covered corningware.

C.