Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Taste Test

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Who here has ACTUALLY tasted fat-free half and half cream and found it to be
> vile? Or do you just rant about it because you think it can't possible taste
> good?
>
> Who here has tried it and liked it?

FWIW, my wife used to like half and half. In the days when our dollar was doing
much better against the US dollar I used to do a little cross border shopping to
stock up on things that were much cheaper in the US than in Canada. Dairy
products were at the top of the list. Butter and half and half were about 1/3 as
much there as they were here. I was not impressed with the butter. I don't use
cream, but my wife thought the American half and half was vile, and she didn't
know where it was from. My list of things to buy across the river got so small
that it wasn't worth the bridge fare and the extra time. It was down to Frank's
Hot Sauce, Danish Blue Cheese and Grape Nuts. The Grape Nuts weren't that much
cheaper, but the Canadian version changed the recipe and it wasn't as good.