Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Charles Perry Charles Perry is offline

Default yeast/bacteria balance

Jeff Miller wrote:

> Is this true? Or am I repeating a sourdough urban legend here?

I asked Ticker and she said that cultures that tend to remain stable ,
tend to remain stable.

From my experience, stable strains of sourdough culture can remain
stable in different geographic locations for years - at least. That
said, I have observed the same culture behave differently with different
environmental and care conditions.

The culture that lives mainly in the refrigerator during the hot months
and brought out for use infrequently behaves differently than the same
strain that lives on the counter and is fed several times a day during
the cold weather baking season. In other words, a culture can be stable
in different states. There is some biological inertia because changing
the environment and care routine (within limits) does not cause an
immediate change in observed behavior.

Regards,

Charles