Posted to rec.food.baking
Boron Elgar[_1_] Boron Elgar[_1_] is offline

Default Best Book for Newbie

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 05:28:09 GMT, Reg > wrote:

>Alton R. Martin wrote:
>
>> The results are in. Not sure but I don't think they came out that
>> great. The inner part was somewhat tough and the outside of the
>> croissant was brittle. Not sure why or how to solve it. Wife didn't
>> care for them either, said their was not tast. Of course she smokes;
>> they did have a slight buttery flavor (me non-smoker). Followed the
>> direction from King Aruther's Flour cookbook. O well, it was alot of
>> fun doing the creation.

>It's hard to diagnose without seeing the recipe. The
>classic croissant recipe involves a laminated, yeasted
>dough, so I'll assume yours does too.
>
> From what you describe, it sounds like they're underproofed.
>If final rise is not long enough and the dough in the
>center will end up rather tough. It could also be your
>folding/rolling technique.
>
>How long was the final rise? Did they at least double
>in size before you baked them?
>
>Don't sweat it, croissants require a lot of good
>technique. They're a challenge to do properly.

They are, but I recommend Julia Child's recipe from "Mastering the Art
of French Cooking," Vol II.

There is also an excellent video online with Julia Child and her guest
Esther McManus making croissants, which will provide a nice video
tutorial.

http://tinyurl.com/zw9dv

Boron