Posted to rec.food.baking
Reg[_1_] Reg[_1_] is offline

Default Best Book for Newbie

Alton R. Martin wrote:

> The results are in. Not sure but I don't think they came out that
> great. The inner part was somewhat tough and the outside of the
> croissant was brittle. Not sure why or how to solve it. Wife didn't
> care for them either, said their was not tast. Of course she smokes;
> they did have a slight buttery flavor (me non-smoker). Followed the
> direction from King Aruther's Flour cookbook. O well, it was alot of
> fun doing the creation.

It's hard to diagnose without seeing the recipe. The
classic croissant recipe involves a laminated, yeasted
dough, so I'll assume yours does too.

From what you describe, it sounds like they're underproofed.
If final rise is not long enough and the dough in the
center will end up rather tough. It could also be your
folding/rolling technique.

How long was the final rise? Did they at least double
in size before you baked them?

Don't sweat it, croissants require a lot of good
technique. They're a challenge to do properly.

--
Reg