Posted to rec.food.sourdough
WRK WRK is offline

Default yeast/bacteria balance

Hi Jeff:

If you ever get bored or have the initiative perhaps you could re-borrow a
portion of the start you gave to your friend. Since she is close, perhaps
one grown to its second (or third) stage and nearly ready for bread making
(plus another mother). It would be interesting to see if you get tangy
bread from it following your normal recipe. Moreover, how long the new
mother continues to be so after coming home with you.

{I have heard that cultures can drift, too. In contrast, I have heard that
they are stable and do not change -- many are hundreds and some purported to
be thousands of years old. Finally, I have heard that there is a small
probability that the indigenous microbiology is heartier in certain
conditions than that in some cultures and thus can get a foothold. I have
read mention of evolution where the culture adapts to its food source and
environmental conditions. I don't know what is true. Yet, I have also
heard (and believe) that the techniques of the baker and the environmental
variables, temperature, humidity, proofing times, etc. are hugely
responsible.}

Ray