Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals
Glorfindel Glorfindel is offline

Default "collateral included deaths in organic rice production [faq]"

ontheroad wrote:
> "Glorfindel" > wrote in message

>>rick wrote:

>><snip>
>>>=====================
>>>But the main difference still remains. Within each person is the seed of
>>>what being human is.

>>Which is what? How are you defining "human"? And, as
>>important, why is it morally relevant?
>>===========================

> ROTFLMAO You really need a definition of human.

Yes, we do, if we are to determine if it is a morally
relevant difference from other animals, and if so, why.
What do you think makes a biological member of the
species _homo sapiens_ a "human" in the moral sense?
This is an issue that people argue all the time in
discussions of things like abortion and euthanasia, as
well as animal rights.

<snip>

> Tell me what other animals can ever exhibit human morality.

I would suggest reading, for a start, de Waal's _Good Natured_
and Sapontzis's _Morals, Reason, and Animals_. There has
been a lot of ethological research in the last few decades
about what certainly seems to be a rudimentary moral sense in
some animal species.