Posted to rec.food.equipment
sd sd is offline

Default Mildew in potscrubbers and sponges

In article . net>,
"Remsleep" > wrote:

> I'm having a real problem with mildew building up in my potscrubbers. I keep
> them out of standing water, but usually within a week or two a new scrubber
> will start to smell. Running them through the dishwasher gets rid of the
> smell for a few days, but then it's back. Does anyone have any ideas for
> keeping them mildew free for long periods? FYI, we live in a fairly humid
> climate.

You need to make sure your "scrubbie" is clear of food particles,
especially those which may have worked their way into inner layers
of the scrubbie.

Something else you might try is to microwave your scrubbie for 60
seconds or so (depending on how powerful your oven is). Watch it the
first couple of times you do it to make sure it's not melting -- and
it _will_ be hot when you take it out of the microwave. But I do
something similar with cellulose sponges and I can't recall the last
time I had to toss one because of mildew.

sd