Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L.[_2_] -L.[_2_] is offline

Default Oatmeal cookies

Dave Smith wrote:
> I had a craving for oatmeal cookies but didn't like the
> recipes I have, so I went searching for a new one.

Here's my file on Oatmeal cookies...
-L.
***paste***

Oatmeal Cookies

Basic recipe:

3/4 C. butter
1 C. light brown sugar
1/2 C. sugar
1 egg (jumbo)
1/3 C. water or milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract (real vanilla, not imitation)
2 C. Quaker Quick Oats
1 C. Quaker Old Fashioned Oats
1 C. Flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Cream butter, sugars, egg and vanilla. Stir in dry ingredients and
spices, adding oats last. Add additional ingredients as desired (see
variations, below). Spray non-stick baking sheet with PAM cooking
spray (I use Canola variety). Drop rounded tablespoons of dough onto
baking sheet, 1 1/2 inches apart. Flatten and shape lightly. Bake at
375F for five minutes, turn the sheet 180 degrees, and bake an
additional 4 minutes. Cookies are done when lightly browned at the
edges, and the tops are beginning to dry. May take a little longer
than the specified 9 minutes. If cookies run too much, add a little
flour to the dough, and refrigerate it before making more cookies.
Store in airtight container (Ziploc baggies).

************
Variations:
************
For Oatmeal Raisin Cookies:

Add:
3/4 C. raisins (soaked in cold water 1/2 hour, drained, and dried)
3/4 C. coarsely chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon clove

**********
For Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies:

Add:
3/4 C. bittersweet chocolate chips or chunks
3/4 C. coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)

**************
For Oatmeal Butter Scotch Cookies (my favorite):

Add:
3/4 C. Nestle Butterscotch morsels
1/3 C. Coconut (Baker's brand canned is best, but can use sweetened
flaked)
3/4 C. coarsely chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon clove

(May use more spices if desired - taste dough - it should taste very
spicy.)