Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob (this one) Bob (this one) is offline

Default Looking for Maple syrup marinade for salmon

Janet B. wrote:
> I have a nice piece of salmon that I want to smoke this evening. I've eaten
> salmon that has had maple syrup in the marinade and it was pretty tasty.
> Does anyone have a recipe for this kind of marinade. I've checked Recipe
> Source with no luck. Thanks

From a column of mine...

FISH FILLETS IN A MAPLE AND DILL BRINE
This brine works well on fillets of tuna, salmon, orange
roughy and trout. Brining fish is faster than meats. You
need real maple syrup for best results.
1 quart water
21/4 cup salt
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 bunch fresh dill, coarsely chopped (about 1/ 2 cup)
3 garlic cloves, smashed
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
fish fillets, about 2 pounds total, center cuts if possible
Combine the water, salt, maple syrup and brown sugar in a
large nonreactive container. Stir to dissolve the salt. Add
dill, garlic, and pepper. Submerge the fish skin side up in
the brine. Cover the container and refrigerate for 8 to 10
hours.
To cook, remove the fish from the brine and pat dry. Brush
or spray with oil. To broil, put the fish on a foil-lined
baking sheet, skin side down and broil for about 10 minutes
per inch of thickness at the thickest point, or until just
cooked through. To grill, put on a sheet of foil directly on
the grill rack over medium heat for about 10 minutes per
inch of thickness. To smoke, follow normal approaches for
either hot or cold smoking.