Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default Something smells! (Was: Anderson Valley Pinot Noir)

While I tend to not want to get into these things, and a while ago
decided I would ignore Mr. Neidich for my own reasons, it does seem
there are some interesting coincidences here. I am aware of the
communal posting hosts of large ISPs, but it does seem textually there
are some startling similarites between Mr. Neidich and Audrey, beyond
posting details such as IP addresses:

Both live in the Southeast, but were just in Oregon discovering new
wines (Bergstrom and Dessert Wine threads). Admittedly minor
coincidence.

The newsgroup Audrey proffers as an example of greater civility from
horrid regulars of AFW is alt.coffee. Surprisingly, according to Google
Groups, the ONLY other newsgroup that Mr Neidich has posted to (other
than a couple of Xposts from AFW) is.......alt.coffee. Soulmates.

And, for the geeky, in her one wine related post Audrey says:
"Being a lover of fine French Burgundy I was amazed how
different these Oregon Pinot's are compared to the California style
which I found to be Cabernet built Pinot"

I've heard lots of folks compare some California Pinot Noirs to Syrah.
But Cabernet seems an odder comparison, but the statement's style was
vaguely familiar. So I just searched alt.food.wine for "complex
burgundy california pinot cabernet " The first hit (and the only one
that I can find that makes that comparison) was from Mr. Neidich on
5/28/02:
"Oregon is more similar to Burgundy if you like complex, multi-faceted
wines
that are simple, elegant and lack the Cabernet quality of many
California
style Pinot Noirs. "
They're certainly like-minded folks all around.

I realize none of these points is in anyway conclusive, but I found
them interesting. I just think we should all be flattered that Audrey,
a self-proclaimed regular poster on newsgroups, would set up a new
Google account just for AFW, and then spend 3 of her 4 posts berating
those who contribute regularly. I'm sure we all appreciate the
generosity of spirit.

In general I think most of us are reasonably welcoming to newcomers
(and Mark Lipton in particular is generally exceptionally gracious). We
could all use improvement (I know I could), but color me sceptical of
posters who decide to start off by chiding others.