Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,misc.rural,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals
Dutch Dutch is offline

Default They die so we can eat rice...

<dh@.> wrote
> On 1 Sep 2006 08:11:20 -0700, "Andy" > wrote:
>
>>Andy comments:
>>
>> Not interested in rice....
>>
>>What have you got that dies so I can eat steak ???

> If you're looking for death, you'll find more in the
> rice. People get many servings of meat from the
> death of a steer.

Steers eat hay, which is a crop, meaning lots of cds, see studies on vole
populations by Davis et al, also most eat at least some grain.

> If a grass raised steer provides
> 1000 servings of meat, that's pretty much 1/1000
> death per serving.

That's a lie, see above. Besides, meat-eaters eat many other types of meat
other than beef.

> In contrast to that, there may
> be several deaths involved with a bowl or two
> of rice.

You can't say that with any certainty.

> On top of that the cattle only live because
> they're raised for food, so eating meat not only
> contributes to death for cattle, it also contributes
> to their lives.

The animals killed in crop fields also only live and die because of the rich
crops we grow. If you're going to factor in "contributing to lives" then
commercial crops are better at that than purely grass-fed beef.

You're no better than an ARA if you're just going to lie too. The onus is on
ARAs to establish that we do not have the right to use animals as food,
relax, they can't.